Sunday 26 February 2012

Good Read: THE HUNGER GAMES

Remember the time when I was a teenager, I love to read novels. From ghost stories, to witch stories, to romance, and all other sorts. When I get attached to one, I hardly get my hands off the book, even when I'm eating. However when other things kick in like Internet etc, the hobby seems to fade out.

My book reading habit came back briefly in 2009, when I made a resolution to make Tuesdays my Reading Day (read my previous blog here & here). A good thing about reading a book is, you let the author brings you to an imaginary world of your own, and you design your own story picture. That's something I truly enjoy when reading a book.

The last book I love was ONE DAY by David Nicholls, and I'd say the book is so much better than the movie, and I must say it took me a while to finish the book, from Glasgow, to Malaysia, to Singapore! It was a good book to read with somewhat sad ending if you love romance. Read the book, not the movie!

Recently, I thought I tried not to stay in front of a computer for a long time as I may have been starring at the screen for 5 hours at work. I picked up a few books from the bookstore, trying to kill my time much more productively and healthily. And, my friend, Stella, recommended me this book, called 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins, said it's a good book to read. Without hesitation and without any clue of what it's about, I decided to buy the book.



It took me just over a week to finish this book. I even read it during my lunch break at work. Yes, it just makes you read and want to read more about it.

It is a book, about a group of 12 teenage boys and 12 teenage girl from 12 different districts in a futuristic world. They were randomly chosen to join the reality TV show, 'The Hunger Games'. Their task is simple; the last one who survived the game is the victor. This means they need survival skills and have to kill each other to win the game, which will win them a life of wealth for them and their family.

The main character of the story, Katniss Everdeen, volunteered to join the game on behalf of her younger sister. And the story begins on how she survived with some twist of romance between her and another participant, Peeta, and her long time bestie, Gale, who she used to hunt together. I'd not elaborate more in here and I'd highly recommend you to read the book.



The author gives you sudden suspense when you think of a predictable outcome. And it is very readable! I give it a score of 4.5/5.0!!! Love!

FYI, there will be a movie made based on the book coming out in mid March. I did not watch the trailer until I've finished with the book! I just don't want any section of the trailer, including the look of the character be influenced my any part of the trailer. Nevertheless, I can't wait to watch the film!



The Hunger Games is a trilogy by Suzanne Collins, so to continue with the story of Katniss after the Game, I bought the second book of the trilogy, 'Catching Fire'.



Can't wait to finish the book!!! Let me know what do you think about the book?? Read the book before the movie!!

No comments: