Sunday 15 March 2009

Shopping-addict??


As I said in my previous blog, I made Tuesday my reading day. I manage to prolong it for at least a month! Very impressive, huh? I read it every night before I went to bed.
The first book I finished this year is 'The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic' by Sophie Kinsella. It's a book for the girls to read, knowing how pathetic and able to spend all her money, lined up with lots of debts and overdrafts.

Not long ago, there was a new film on air called 'The Confession of a Shopaholic', based on the book above, which I had read.

I read the book first before I watch the movie. Just to see what's the difference between the book and the movie. Surprisingly, the movie is only about 40% similiar to the book!! I'm a bit dissapointed. 15% out of 30% is for the character they put in the movie is similiar to the book, whereas the 15% is for part of the story. Main character of the book is Rebecca Bloomwood, a.k.a Becky, a.k.a Becks, a.k.a Shopaholic!

Here's a few difference to mention:
  • Story takes place in London in the book; it takes place in New York in the movie
  • Becky is a Finance Journalist from Successful Saving from the beginning in the book; she is also a Finance Journalist but began as a jobless girl.
  • Becky popular column is 'Couple Cheated by Fat Cats at Flagstaff Life' in the book which made her appears on telly; in movie, it was 'The Girl with the Green Scarf'
  • Becky's editor is Philip in the book; whereas it's Luke Brandon in the movie! She never works together with Luke Brandon in the book until the end of it when Luke had a crush on her.
  • Becky's flatmate, Suze has a cousin in the book, named Tarquin whom had a serious crush on Becky; In the movie, Suze's getting married with Tarquin!! What?!! Unbelievable!
  • And the list goes on and on and on about the differences.
Also, there's a bit of the stuff which is important on how Becky tried to save some money to pay her debts.She tried to cook her own home-made curry, bring a flask of coffee instead of buying them on the way to work and not to go shopping every single time she has. However, she failed at last. I think there's a bit of drama about this in the book which they should put it in the movie.



I should not comment much as the movie said it's based on a book. But 30% of similarities are not enough! There's even some new character which never mention in the book apears in the movie! Watch this movie and let you kow how crazy a girl can be when obsessed with shopping being a Shopaholic! Luckily, I'm a chocoholic, not shopaholic~ :P

1 comment:

ADELINE HO said...

anna, this is a spoiler!!!! gaah