Tuesday 14 February 2012

OUTDOOR: Cycling

Cycling:
SINGAPORE vs SCOTLAND

I often let people disbelief that I was an outdoor person who loves sport. That only applies to people who know me later in my life as I may look like a person who love to read, quiet and anti-social. It all started out me being an active girl in primary school who happened to be a runner (sprinter) but cannot do long jump. I can't do long runs actually, but I can do short quick runs. Fast forward to secondary school, I was in the netball team. And, also being actively involved in extra-curriculum activities, especially St John Ambulance.

Fast forward again.
Last Sunday, my A-Level college clan, the A-B-C who are now working in Singapore, went for a wee outing to cycle in East Coast Park, here in Singapore. It sounds like a long stretch beach but the sandy area is only a few steps walk from the shore to the sea. Singapore is a petite island that I remembered a tourist guide once said, "when God created the earth, he finished it with a fullstop. And, the fullstop is now known as Singapore". Yes, Singapore is really THAT tiny.



I'm staying near east coast so it's convenient for me to go there. It took B and C about an hour to reach the east side as they stay in the west. As B said, there's a time zone difference of about 10minutes! Haha!!

The weather that day was really sunny, that I had to put on sunscreen lotion before I head. The sky was blue and when we go there, the sea breeze was just relaxing. As usual, Singapore being a high population density country, East Coast Park was filled with people, although the picture above doesn't show that much.



Sitting on top of a rocky hill off the shore, we were trying to enjoy the scene, seabreeze, and the sun. As you may have already noticed, there's no such thing as 'no boundaries' of seaview in Singapore. You will definitely see some boat laying outreach of you but within your view. It actually kind of ruin the beauty of sea.





That's the three of us! We never fail to have laughter when we unite. We blend well together as we have different thoughts but share the same kind of laughter! The weather was just nice for cycling and a little bit of walking to burn off some calories. *Ahem*



We rented our bicycles, at S$7 for an hour, and you'll get another hour for free! It's quite a good deal! I have not cycle for a long time, and believe me the last time was in 2008 when me and my bestie in class went to Millport for a day trip (more details to come).

We cycled for more than 1.5 hours, we enjoy some scene, joke each other, competing with speed, and even bump into each other's bike! We ended up riding 'Skyline', my 'Honda', and a 'kancil-turned-into-pimp-my-ride-Fairlady'!! Of course some bypassers would have Ferrari for its speed! We should do this cycling more often as there isn't much activities we can do in this congested Singapore.


Me in 2012. My messy hair can't be fixed during pictures due to strong seabreeze!


Me in 2008! I went cycling @ Millport, Isle of Cumbrae.

2008, after finishing all our semester exams, me and my classmates decided to go for a day trip, away from city centre. We decided to go to Millport at Isle of Cumbrae, near the west of Scotland.




We need to use a ferry from Largs to cross over to Isle of Cumbrae. It was my first ferry experience and it was really nothing less than fun!


We rented bicycles to cycle around the island. We were actually cycling round the island around its perimeter, not within the island. It took us a few hours to finish, of course with some 'pit stop' in between.


The weather was gloomy, and it's nothing less the expect from the moody weather of Scotland. Although it was supposed to be summer, the most you get is two weeks of real sunshine! We were already quite lucky that it wasn't raining.




And was us taking a break from our cycles to look around, and of course to mention the photographer who's not in this picture is Alan.

Although 2008 may seems to be too long ago, and I may have become older-but-wiser, the sweet and nice memory still stay very well in my mind. Memories are the best thing to look back, to keep, and to treasure! Scotland was a transition of my life. Not just the idyllic places, university, friends but also the people!! Scotland is uniquely amazing!

Either Singapore or Scotland, both cycling trip were nothing but fun-filled! I will not forget about it, and hopefully, I will continue to cycle in Singapore (as Scotland is not so possible now).

No comments: