Monday 12 October 2009

Berlin, an overview.

I've promised a blog about my recent travels. Went to Germany and Italy in mid-September with my family. BERLIN is my first stop.

The Brandenburg Gate (German: Brandenburger Tor), is the icon of Berlin. If you have not seen this, you've not been to Berlin. Behind this Unter den Linden, the boulevard of the city. And the part where I tool this pic, which divided by the gate is Ebertstraße. Lucky for me, the weather is good hence any picture would perform well.

[BTW: all these pictures were taken with Canon Powershot G10, and I am satisfied with its performance, except the fact that I've resize them]


Spare some time, sitting at the fountain near the gate, looking at people, have a nice break, just makes you feels good while traveling. Noted in the picture, I was doing some jump. It just came across my mind that I should do so though there's lots of people wander about. :P

Then, another must go place is Potsdamer Platz. It's kind of like the Time Square of Berlin, though not as busy. Platz, simply means square in German. This place is modern, with sky-scrappers surrounding you, feel as if you are in a young city!

This is a place I like!

Somewhere round the corner, is the Sony Centre, very upfront and intelligent architecture.

The umbrella-like roof will closes itself when it rains. It is structured beautifully! Though it's by the name of Sony Centre, but there's IMAX, Flim Museum and restaurant there!


Normally, before I travel, I will use Google Earth to my research of places. Otherwise I will buy a travel book. It really helps me a lot. I am quite good in sense of direction so sometimes even when I am in a foreign city, I still roughly know which direction to go, left or right as soon as I come up of a tube station. It all depends very much of my picture memory of map, with hint from the pictures of buildings and places, comparing to those I see on the spot!

Long story short, I saw a picture online then I google-ed how to go there.

Legoland Discovery Centre! The giraffe is made of Lego!! I love Lego when I was a kid! I am sure many of you does.

Look at the eye lashes of the giraffe! So cute! Then I saw my all-time-favourite-scientist, Albert Einstein! These makes me feels like a kid. I am as happy as a child!

And not to forget, somewhere there, we saw part of the Berlin Wall. If you know a bit of German history, spill out more to me! In 1949, the Federal Republic of Gemany was founded in West Germany, and eventually included all of the American, British and French zones, but excluded those three countries' zones of Berlin, while the Marxist-Leninist German Democratic Republic was proclaimed in East Germany. This is it:

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Well, I'm not finish yet. There's more about Berlin that you have to know. I am sleepy yet more coursework to do, so I will continue next time. Check frequently!

No comments: