Wednesday 8 October 2008

Dilated Pupil

Hi everyone!

I know i've not been updating my blog for ages!!

Now I am writing this blog with one of my eye being dilated. Means the my pupil (the centre black circle within the iris which allows light to go into the eye) is bigger than how it's suppose to be. I am writing this just for general interest.

This is the normal right eye of how the pupil size is suppose to be. It would be smaller under strong light. My normal pupils can say to be quite big.

However, after putting some drops, the pupil of my left eye is bigger. We did this for clinical purposes, just to use ophthalmoscope to see the fundus (back of the eye - basically the retina).

Under normal circumstances, the pupil size must be equally the same. If there's anyone in an accident has pupil of different sizes, he/she might be suffering from head injuries as well as concussion.

After one of my pupil is dilated, the things i see seems to be a wee bit funny and blurry, especially when i go from a darker place to a brighter place. The dilation would be gone maximum of 24 hours and if it's quick, the drops would only last for a couple of hours. My lecturer, Dr Loffler said we might not be able to read for a couple of hours, but it's all seems fine to me right now.

It was a fun clinical experience which we did it in our very own Eye Clinic of the university. There's a lot of cool stuff in there which we would need to learn.

Anyway, THIS IS A VERY SPECIAL CLINICAL THING AND SHOULD NOT TRY THIS AT HOME WITHOUT THE SUPERVISION OF OPTOMETRIST IR OPHTHALMOLOGIST!

p/s: I promise I will update my blog soon with more interesting stuff!

No comments: